A few months ago I decided to open up my blog to new prospects by using a translation plugin called Global Translator Pro.
At first it seemed like a really good idea to be able to get my affiliate marketing information out to the whole world, however I really didn’t think this through and went ahead and installed this translation plugin without doing any research about its effects.
Why I Uninstalled The Translation Plugin
It all started about two months ago just after the Google™ Panda update when I started to notice errors appearing in my webmaster tools statistics. At first I didn’t think much of it and thought it would just correct itself, as I had previously experienced some server problems.
However overtime I saw more and more 503 errors appearing on the translated pages which were now starting to grow into the thousands which was a real concern.
I did some research and used the translators option page to change those errors over to 302 errors instead of getting 503 errors.
I thought this would help out with all the translation errors I was now starting to receive, however it didn’t they just kept on coming.
Then All My Internal Pages Were Grey Barred By Google
It really did not matter what I actually did the errors started to grow to the stage were I was showing more than 9000 problems in my Webmaster tools. Then one morning I noticed something that was even more concerning and that was all my internal pages had been grey barred in Google and my traffic had dropped by at least two thirds of what it was.
I might say this, though my pages were still all in the Google index but the page rank of all of those pages had been removed, which was why all my traffic had also dropped so dramatically.
Uninstalling The Global Translation Plugin Was Not Enough…
Once I realized what was happening I quickly deactivated the plugin hoping this would fix the problem, after all, two years of hard work was vanishing before my eyes and I seemed to be helpless to stop it, in fact at one stage I gave up trying and was prepared to walk away from my site.
Over the last week I have been very busy getting all of this fixed and putting my site back in order…
Firstly I went to my robots.txt file and then added the directories that I needed to be removed from Google’s™ Index, and not just the languages I had used on my site, but all 48 languages that are part of the Global Translator Plugin.
Here is an example of how I structured the Robot.txt for Google™
I added this for every language, the asterisks is to ensure that everything in the directory is also disallowed in the Google™ index. However I was not finished yet, once I had that all setup the next step was to go into my webmaster tools and manually submit all these translated directories to the “Remove URL” function in the Webmaster tools so I could have all these pages removed.
The next step which I am about to make will be removing all traces of the Global translation plugin from my database files if the problems do not stop, hopefully they will as I am no expert when it comes to messing around in a MYSQL database.
For anyone that wants to use a translation service such as this on your site you need to block all the translated pages from Google™ using your robots.txt file. You should also consider using a VPS server to host the site were you have access to more than one IP address, because if your site is busy you will see thousands of errors such as I did, and I had five IP’s available.
If you really need to use some form of translation on your site maybe you should simply use what Google™ offers to avoid all the problems that I have just experienced and are actually still having to experience.
I am not saying don’t use the Plugin, what I am saying is make sure you do all the research first and find out what other people are saying and what problems they have had using these types of plugins or programs.
My site had very few errors before installing the Global Translation plugin and thousands once it was installed.